Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Delicious Breakfast Apple Pumpkin Muffins

Hello Everyone: What better post to start of this blog with than a recipe? And a recipe for a nice healthy morning start also. We are off on a road trip and these Breakfast Muffins are spectacular in every way. They are easy to make, easy to carry with you, filled with nutrients, filling and they are good for you also! If you want to add a little something to them once they are made, a lite or no fat cream cheese goes very well with these.

Applesauce Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup/ 240 ml old-fashioned oatmeal, not instant
1/2 cup/ 125ml unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup/ 125ml canned pumpkin
2 large egg whites + one egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp + 1 tsp/ 35ml canola oil
1 Tbsp/ 15ml double-acting baking powder
1/2 tsp/ 2.5ml baking soda
1 tsp/ 5ml cinnamon
1/4 tsp/ 1.25ml ground nutmeg
1 tsp/ 5 ml pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup/ 125ml milk or milk alternative or 1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup/ 125ml amaranth or quinoa flour or flour of your choice (I use quinoa)
1/4 cup / 60ml whole wheat flour
1/4 cup/ 60ml maple sugar flakes (I cannot find these so I use organic Turbinado sugar)
1/2 cup/ 125ml dried cranberries or raisins (optional)




Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F/ 190 degrees C. Line muffine tray with non fat cooking spray or line with silicone liners.

2. Combine oatmeal, pumpkin, applesauce, juice or milk, eggs and oil. Mix until all ingredients are combined.

3. Measure and mix dry ingredients. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Add dry fruit to mixture. Fill cups 2/3 full. Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until light brown on top

Alternative: If you don't have pumpkin you can use sweet potato. Simply microwave the sweet potato and let it cool. Remove the skin and mash the flesh. Measure out the required quantity. Voila!




This recipe is courtesy of Tosca Reno from the Eat-Clean Diet cookbook

I will be back to talk more about this Eat-Clean Diet but I can say this... it is a change of life, not a "Diet" and every recipe I have tried has been absolutely FABULOUS to this point... I am even making the recipes again and again so that says it all doesn't it!

I hope you have a chance to try these delicious and nutritious muffins while I am away! I will return soon with more facts, food and fun!

See you really soon

2 comments:

  1. These look so yummy. I will have to give them a shot. I have some great healthy recipes that I think would jive with your "clean" eating and you would enjoy...one is a "brownie" recipe! We have to catch up soon miss ya!

    ~t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you have a brownie recipe T... hahahaha I knew that you would be the first friend I invited over for a clean living dinner... you and I are traveling the same path! When can we see our boys again? Big hugs and bring brownies! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete